City is a legally established autonomous, territorial, self-governing, and administrative unit of the Slovak Republic, as well as a legal entity.
In carrying out its self-governance, the City especially shall:
- perform tasks related to sound management practices with movable and immovable property of the City, and with property in the State’s ownership consigned to be used by the City,
- draft and approve municipal budget and the City’s closing account,
- decide on matters regarding local taxes and fees, and administer them,
- direct economic activities in the city, and, shall a special provision state so, issue a permission, binding statement, or statement, or shall comment on business and other activities of legal and physical entities, or on the establishment of a production plant on the City’s territory; it shall issue binding statements on investment activities in the City,
- create efficient system of control and suitable organisational, financial, personal, and physical conditions to secure its independent performance,
- carry out construction, maintenance, and administration of local roads, public areas, municipal cemetery, cultural, sport, and other facilities, cultural monuments, monument areas, and memorials in the City,
- carry out public services, especially municipal waste and small construction waste handling, City cleaning activities and maintenance, maintenance of public green areas and public lighting, water supply, wastewater discharge, septic wastewater treatment, and local public transportation,
- create and preserve healthy conditions and healthy way of living and working for people in the City, preserve the environment, and create conditions for functional healthcare, education, culture, promotion activities, hobbies and arts, and physical fitness sport activities,
- perform tasks in the area of consumer protection, create conditions for adequate supply in the City; it shall also, through ordinances, designate time schedule of business for retail shops, services, and shall administer open market areas,
- acquire and approve territorial documentation of territorial planning of residential units and zones and development strategy of individual areas of life of the City, acquire and approve programmes of housing development, and contribute to the creation of suitable living conditions in the City,
- carry out own investment and business activities in order to address the needs of citizens and development of the City,
- under special provisions, establish, form, dissolve, and control contributory organisations, and other legal entities and facilities,
- organise public opinion polls on important issues concerning the life and development of the City,
- secure public order in the City; it shall, through ordinances, determine activities that are banned or limited to be carried out at certain time or place,
- provide for protection of cultural monuments under special provisions, and shall bear in mind preservation of natural values,
- execute tasks in the area of social assistance, as outlined under special provisions,
- carry out certification of legal documents and signatures therein,
- keep the City chronicle in the national language, or the language of an ethnic minority.
The law permits that some state administration decision-making tasks be transferred to the City, if their execution is thus more rational and efficient. When transferring decision-making tasks to the City, the Government shall release the appropriate needed financial and material means.